Jeffrey K. Ball, Ph.D., P.E.
Commercial Vehicle Accident Reconstruction, Failure AnalysisJeff Ball is a principal engineer who specializes in mechanical engineering design and motor vehicle accident reconstruction. As a professor of mechanical engineering at the U.S. Air Force Academy, Dr. Ball taught machine design, product design, automotive engineering, thermodynamics, statics, strength of materials, and dynamics. Dr. Ball also supervised students in the design, test and operation of a race car for the Society of Automotive Engineers’ (SAE) Formula competition and an off-road vehicle for the SAE Mini Baja competition. He conducted research, modeling, and testing on internal combustion engine performance, and directed a research project for the USAF on alternative powerplants for unmanned aerial vehicles. As a pilot, Dr. Ball has extensive flight and instructor experience in a variety of aircraft ranging from gliders to supersonic fighters, and as a graduate of the USAF Accident Board President Course he was certified to conduct aviation accident investigation for the Air Force. The combination of Dr. Ball’s engineering training and flying experience gives him a thorough understanding of vehicle dynamics, operator reaction, and vehicle capabilities.
As a principal forensic engineer, Dr. Ball has analyzed and provided expert testimony for cases involving, but not limited to commercial vehicles, trains, motorcycles, and automobiles. Dr. Ball has also provided expert testimony in product failures involving specific component parts as well as complicated mechanical systems in a variety of consumer products and commercial equipment, as well as testimony in patent litigation. Dr. Ball has been qualified by numerous courts around the country to give expert testimony in the areas of mechanical engineering, accident reconstruction, and patent infringement and validity.
REGISTRATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Professional Engineer in the states of Colorado and Mississippi.
- Graduate of the United States Air Force (USAF) Accident Investigation Board President Course, certified to conduct aircraft accident investigations for the USAF.
- Product Liability
- Forensic Engineering
- Commercial Vehicles
- Ph.D. Engineering Science, Oxford University ,Oxford, England, 1998, specialty in combustion modeling and misfire detection in spark ignition engines.
- M.S. Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 1992, emphasis in acoustics and active vibration control.
- B.Sc. Engineering Mechanics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado, 1983, emphasis in aircraft structural analysis and design.
- NAFE -National Academy of Forensic Engineers
- NSPE – National Society of Professional Engineers, Member
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- SAE – Society of Automotive Engineers, Member
- NAPARS – National Association of Professional Accident Reconstruction Specialists
- ΤβΠ – Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Member