DNR Tips for ATV & UTV use while Hunting
ATVs and UTVs are great tools to assist with your hunt but operators need to keep a few safety tips in mind to ensure a safe hunt and ride.
- Make sure you know who maintains the land you would like to use and if ATV/UTV operation is allowed.
- All ATVs/UTVs registered for public use must display their registration ID number.
- Always wear a DOT approved helmet; hunters are likely to encounter low hanging branches and uneven or steep terrain.
- Complete an ATV safety course. Some local laws require that ATV riders at least age 12 and born after Dec. 31, 1987, must complete a course prior to operating an ATV.
- Long guns, bows and crossbows must be fully unloaded before transport in or on an ATV or UTV.
- Remove mud, dirt and any vegetation from your machine before using it in other areas as machines can easily transport invasive plant species or seeds that are harmful to local habitats.
- Do not operate in or around waterways or wetlands. ATVs and UTVs should cross waterways at bridges, roads or legal fords.
Tags: ATV Accident Reconstruction, UTV Accident